What is HMSSG?
HMSSG stands for Herefordshire Museum Service Support Group.
We are a charitable organisation, set up in 2015, whose aims are to support the Herefordshire Council’s Museum Service in the face of falling public funding. HMSSG is a membership network for supporters of Herefordshire Council’s Museum Service. The Museum Service includes:
- the significant County museum and art collections (over 180,000 objects which are part of Herefordshire’s heritage, held in trust for its people)
- the Museum and Art Gallery in Broad St
- the Resource and Learning Centre where the Collections are stored
- the Black and White House in High Town
- and the professional staff team
After years of funding cuts, Herefordshire Council have embarked on an exciting period of investment and strategic development centred on the redevelopment of Hereford Museum and Art Gallery in Broad Street, Hereford.
HMSSG is only as strong as its members, on whose support the future of the Museum depends. HMSSG’s vision is for a sustainable 21st century museum service which gives a wide range of people better access to the wonderful County Collections. This can be through galleries, exhibitions, pop-up displays, group and educational activities taking place in a range of venues. It also includes digital participation: interactive online images and information, websites and social media.
- Support the redevelopment of Hereford Museum and Art Gallery
- Bring the Viking HOARD home to Herefordshire
Supporting our Museums: can you volunteer?
Any chance of the Museum in Broad Street remaining open depends on sufficient volunteers coming forward to supervise the displays. In addition, the HMSSG board are looking for additional trustees, especially with skills in finance and social media. If you are interested in helping in any way, please contact us.